Located just a few streets away from the Stephansplatz, Scheer Schuhe’s premises are wreathed in the spirit of imperial Vienna. The facade of the Gründerzeit house in Vienna's Bräunerstraße 4 has not changed since Rudolf Scheer was awarded the title of "imperial and royal shoemaker to the court" in 1878. The old glass cabinets in the oak-panelled foyer are used to store lasts from illustrious customers ranging from Kaiser Franz Joseph to Jörg Immendorff. A creaking set of wooden stairs leads up to the first floor. Here a piece of the traditional shoemaker's art has been preserved: just as at the close of the 19th century, the Singer sewing machines clatter away in the old rooms, which are all nooks and crannies, while the damp leather is hammered and sown. But the shoes produced here – they're as modern as can be.